Bingley Town Council is looking for a fully qualified, experienced and highly motivated individual to become Clerk to the Council. The role will also include being the Council’s Responsible Financial Officer. The person appointed will have the experience and understanding to work in a political council, will be a self-starter, highly organised and proactive. This is an exciting opportunity for a professional to play a key part in helping to drive Bingley and its town council forward. The person appointed will be the Proper Officer and Responsible Financial Officer of the Council and will have a statutory duty to carry out all functions required by law.
Bingley is a large civic parish within the Bradford District. It has a population of just over 25,000 a precept of £187, 396 and has recently completed an extensive refurbishment which has created a new town council office in the centre of Bingley and two public toilets. Although a relatively new town council formed in 2016, it is ambitious and serves the areas of Bingley, Cottingley, Crossflatts, Eldwick, Gilstead and Micklethwaite.
The successful candidate will hold the minimum of a CiLCA qualification and have significant experience of working within a town or parish council as an essential requirement, as is experience of monitoring budgets and preparing financial statements. Excellent oral and written communication skills are essential. Experience with a financial package such as Rialtas is also necessary.
- Ensuring the statutory and other provisions affecting the running of the town council are observed.
- Management of the council’s finances including responsibility for all financial records of the Council and the careful administration of its finances .
- Monitor and balance the Council’s accounts and prepare records for audit, and V.A.T.
- Management of the Council’s programme of meetings, ensuring statutory requirements are met, including preparation of agendas.
- Line management responsibility of other employees of the Council.
- To attend all meetings of the full council and some committees, to prepare minutes for approval and ensure the Council’s resolutions are carried out
- To receive and issue correspondence on behalf of the Council.
- Risk assessment and management
- Compliance with the Transparency Code, GDPR and monitoring of CCTV
- To manage the Council office building and public toilets
The job will be based at Bingley Town Council Office, Myrtle Place, Bingley and will require evening and very occasional week- end working.
This permanent role is for 37 hours per week and is paid on the NJC scale of LC3 (scp 37),
£ 40,876. Council employees are members of the NEST pension scheme, after a satisfactory probationary period of 3 months in post.
Please apply using the application form which can be obtained from: firstname.lastname@example.org or on the town council website: www.bingleytowncouncil.gov.uk
If you would like to discuss the role, please get in touch with the Chair of the Council, Helen Owen on 07976 304941.
The closing date for applications is noon on Friday 23 April. Interviews will be held on Monday 10 May. The successful candidate will be required to make a short presentation to the full council on Tuesday 11 May at 5.30 p.m.
BINGLEY TOWN COUNCIL IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES EMPLOYER AND WELCOMES APPLICATIONS FROM ALL SECTIONS OF THE COMMUNITY
PLEASE ADVISE IF YOU NEED ANY REASONABLE ADJUSTMENTS FOR ANY PART OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS